Tips for Success
Before the Fair
- Attend prep workshops offered by Career Services.
- Review the detailed resume help.
- View Employers Attending.
- Make sure to know which employers are interviewing at the fair. If the recruiter is interviewing ALL DAY their schedules fill up faster; sort to know which recruiters to talk to first
- Have specific questions prepared for each recruiter at each organization you meet.
At the Fair
- Wear comfortable shoes! Dress for success! When in doubt, be conservative
- Be sure to carry a professional portfolio
- Introduce yourself – include your major and graduation date. Provide additional information about your background and experiences. Offer a copy of your resume.
- Indicate why you are interested in this particular organization. Obtain information about the availability of positions of interest. Determine requirements to apply for a position.
- If interested ask the recruiter for the opportunity to interview with them.
- Thank each recruiter for his or her time.
- Always ask for business cards after meeting a recruiter. After talking with them, take notes on the back of the card and use those notes to draft a personalized thank you note.
- Review what to expect at the fair.
After the Fair
- Jot down notes about conversations you had with recruiters. If you wait too long you might forget what you said to whom.
- Within a few days, send a thank you note to each recruiter with whom you talked – especially if you are considering future opportunities with the organization.
- Penn State students and Alumni: create an eCredentials account to manage and send prospective employers your credentials.
- Remember to apply online after the fair if the recruiter instructs you to!