Questions to Ask Recruiters
After choosing your top companies to talk to, prepare a list of questions in advance.
- How would you describe a typical week/day in this position?
- What is the company's management style?
- How many people work in this office/department?
- How much travel is expected?
- Is relocation a possibility?
- What is the typical work week? Is overtime expected?
- What are the prospects for growth and advancement?
- How does one advance in the company?
- What do you like about working here?
- What don't you like about working here and what would you change?
- What would you say are the top two personality traits someone needs to do this job well?
- What improvements or changes do you hope the new candidate will bring to this position?
- If I were to start tomorrow, what would be the top priority on my to-do list?
Questions You May Be Asked
Time moves quickly during an online chat; make the most of you rtime with a recruiter by preparing in advance to answer some questions you think they may ask.
Sample Questions You May Be Asked:
Values and Experiences
- Tell me about yourself.
- Describe your most rewarding college experience.
- What have you done that shows initiative and willingness to work?
- Tell me…
- About a suggestion that you have made that has been successfully implemented
- When you worked on an assignment/project that was new and/or complex to you
- When you worked with a difficult person
- When you were asked to complete a project that you had no interest in
- When you were asked to provide feedback to a supervisor
Personality and Self Awareness
- How would you describe yourself?
- How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would describe you?
- Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing?
- Why did you select your college or university?
- What led you to choose your field or major study?
- Do you think your grades are a good indication of your academic achievement?
- How do you handle stressful situations and working under pressure?
- What sort of person do you not like to work with?
- What are you like working in a team?
- What is your biggest strength/weakness?
- What kind of decisions do you find most difficult to take?
Desire and Career Goals
- What do you see yourself doing five years from now, ten years from now?
- What do you expect from a job?
- What two or three things are most important to you in your job?
- What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
- How do you determine or evaluate success?
Knowledge of Organization
- Why are you interested in our organization?
- What do you know about this organization?
- What do you think it takes to be successful in a company like ours?
- In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our company?
- Are you willing to travel or relocate if necessary?
- Why should we hire you?
- Do you have any questions for us?